St John's stained glass windows

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page
Canon F. G. Ward window

This window is in the south Porch, facing west. There are two windows in the original vestry, now the South Porch, which were given to St John’s by Canon Frederick G. Ward, who was rector of St John’s from 1913 to 1929. He was a chaplain in France during the Great War, and when he was serving on the Somme, he gathered some fragments of stained glass from bombed churches and brought them back to Canberra. He arranged for the pieces to be made into windows, which were installed in 1929.