St John's stained glass windows

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page
Pair of patterned windows

The pair of patterned windows on opposite sides at the east end of the Nave are in memory of Elizabeth Gibbes who died in 1874 (on the north side) and Colonel John George Nathaniel Gibbes, who died in 1873 (on the south side). In 1859 the Gibbes moved from Sydney to Yarralumla to live with their son, Augustus. Each window shows the family coat of arms of three battle axes, with the motto “Tenax Propositi”, which may be interpreted as “Holding Fast”. The windows were installed in 1876.