St John's Churchyard

The St John's Churchyard was consecrated by Bishop William Grant Broughton on 12 March 1845. Spanning over 170 years it is a memorial to many of Canberra's pioneers and former residents.

Occupations of those buried here range over the years from sawyer, ploughman, shoemaker, shepherd, wheelwright, stonemason, farmer, grazier, printer, bricklayer, engine driver, public servant, surveyor, architect, military officer and Governor-General. It was closed in 1937 unless exclusive rights to a plot were held.

 

When exploring the Churchyard make sure you also visit the memorials and wall plaques inside St John's Church.

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page

ST JOHN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH

45 CONSTITUTION AVENUE

REID ACT

Lady Whiskard

In July 1940 parishioners were shocked by the death of Lady Whiskard, the wife of the British High Commissioner to Australia. Her headstone in the St John's Churchyard was destroyed by vandals many years ago. Her family in the UK have paid for a new cross to be made which was installed in January 2015.