St John's Churchyard

The St John's Churchyard was consecrated by Bishop William Grant Broughton on 12 March 1845. Spanning over 170 years it is a memorial to many of Canberra's pioneers and former residents.

Occupations of those buried here range over the years from sawyer, ploughman, shoemaker, shepherd, wheelwright, stonemason, farmer, grazier, printer, bricklayer, engine driver, public servant, surveyor, architect, military officer and Governor-General. It was closed in 1937 unless exclusive rights to a plot were held.

 

When exploring the Churchyard make sure you also visit the memorials and wall plaques inside St John's Church.

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page

ST JOHN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH

45 CONSTITUTION AVENUE

REID ACT

Col. John Gibbes

Col. John Gibbes, aged 88 years, died in 1873, and his wife Elizabeth the following year. Col. Gibbes had served in the Napoleonic Wars and took up an appointment as Collector of Customs in Sydney in 1834. In 1859, he and his wife came to live with their son Augustus at Yarralumla.