St John's Churchyard

The St John's Churchyard was consecrated by Bishop William Grant Broughton on 12 March 1845. Spanning over 170 years it is a memorial to many of Canberra's pioneers and former residents.

Occupations of those buried here range over the years from sawyer, ploughman, shoemaker, shepherd, wheelwright, stonemason, farmer, grazier, printer, bricklayer, engine driver, public servant, surveyor, architect, military officer and Governor-General. It was closed in 1937 unless exclusive rights to a plot were held.

 

When exploring the Churchyard make sure you also visit the memorials and wall plaques inside St John's Church.

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page

ST JOHN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH

45 CONSTITUTION AVENUE

REID ACT

Marianne Campbell

Marianne Campbell, aged 75 years, died in 1903. She was the wife of George Campbell, the fourth son of the founder of St John’s Church, Robert Campbell. George died in England in 1881, and Marianne returned to Duntroon. Members of her family are buried in this enclosure.