St John's Churchyard

The St John's Churchyard was consecrated by Bishop William Grant Broughton on 12 March 1845. Spanning over 170 years it is a memorial to many of Canberra's pioneers and former residents.

Occupations of those buried here range over the years from sawyer, ploughman, shoemaker, shepherd, wheelwright, stonemason, farmer, grazier, printer, bricklayer, engine driver, public servant, surveyor, architect, military officer and Governor-General. It was closed in 1937 unless exclusive rights to a plot were held.

 

When exploring the Churchyard make sure you also visit the memorials and wall plaques inside St John's Church.

Show More

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK:

  • Wix Facebook page
Rev'd Peirce Galliard Smith

The Rev. Pierce Galliard Smith, aged 82 years, died in 1908, and his wife and two daughters were buried with him later. He was the rector of St John’s from 1855 to 1905, and faithfully served the large parish of St John’s, which extended from Gundaroo in the north, to Yass in the west, to Queanbeyan in the east, and beyond the Murrumbidgee in the south.